Zip IP Range - Frequently Asked Questions
- Q. What's the maxiumum size of hard drive (HD)?
With high definition 4MP cameras the HD storage space is very important and we have tested the ZipNVR with the latest 10TB hard discs.
- Q. Does the Zip IP system support 2-way talk?
The ZipNVRs support talkback so that you can talk and listen remotely from your phone or computer to your CCTV system. For talkback you need to have a microphone with the system and also a loudspeaker system like the “VoiceOff”.
- Q. Does the ZipNVR record when the camera is alarmed?
Setting the ZipNVR to record by alarm inputs can be done at either the camera or NVR.
- Q. Could I also record Video Footage to my PC as a back up?
You certainly can. The ZipVision client software has a feature that on receiving an alarm signal from the NVR it will pop up a camera window and then record that camera from 1-10 minutes depending on settings.
- Q. Does the Zip IP system have Video Motion Detection?
Yes it does, all the Zip IP cameras have this feature and they tell the NVR to automatically record on activation.
- Q. Does the Zip IP system have email alerts?
Yes it does and it’s very easy to set up. The ZipNVRs have what's called “Smart Email” set-up so it’s easy to set up and is compatible with free providers like Gmail.
- Q. If the ZipNVR is constantly being alarmed will I be bombarded with emails?
No, you can set the Zip’s email to only send email using a schedule that suits you, for example you may set it to send emails from 9-5 when you are at work and your house is empty. You can even set the Smart email function up to send emails say only once every 10 minutes, again preventing unwanted blasts of emails for bonafide triggers. Even though the email is scheduled the NVR still alarms and records on every event.
- Q. What does the Zip system email when alarmed?
It’s a static image that can be sent to up to three individual recipients.
- Q. If I want to see 8 or 16 live camera feeds remotely will it be heavy on the network?
No, a special “Zip” channel effectively combines all the individual cameras into one “multiscreen” so it uses the network resources equivalent to one feed. Smart huh!
- Q. Does the Zip support Audio recording?
Yes it does provided the Zip IP camera supports audio, all this is done like the alarms down the one Cat5 cable with no additional cable to run in.
- Q. Are the images high quality?
Zip technology uses the latest high standard, H265, for better images and smaller file sizes.
- Q. If I forget the ZipNVR password, is it easy for me to recover it myself?
Yes it is. The ZipNVR has an “email password” feature which will send your password to whatever email address you have entered in to it for recovery. Alternatively we can give you a temporary password if needed.
- Q. Does the ZipNVR have RS232 and RS485?
Yes it does making it easy to connect to other equipment like access control and the VoiceOff.
- Q. Can the ZipNVR automatically capture still images or is it just video?
You can capture both simultaneously. The still images can be used for timelapse photography or for security.
- Q. Can you play back the still images remotely?
Yes you can select either still images or Video to playback in the ZipVision software.
- Q. Is it easy to upgrade camera firmware for new features ?
Yes incredibly easy, simply put a USB stick in the ZipNVR and apply the new Zip IP camera firmware on the whole system.
- Q. Does the ZipNVR have built in help guides?
Yes it does, you can use them as reminders how to complete tasks without having to reach for the manual.
- Q. On the NVR monitor screen is it easy to layout the camera locations to suit me?
Yes it’s very easy, all the cameras support drag and drop location positioning. Simply use the mouse to move them to a layout that suits you.
- Q. Can the ZipNVR tell the customer that a maintenance visit is due?
The ZipNVR supports an “Installer to NVR” messaging services. This enables you to scheduled push messages to be sent to the NVR to tell your customer a maintenance visit is due. For more details of this service please ask your account manager.
- Q. Does the ZipNVR support Covert cameras?
Yes it does, you can hide a camera from being seen by an operator if you want to. This is done with the system users individual permissions.
- Q. Can I secure important footage, for example of a break in?
Yes you can. The Zip features a “File Lock” preventing the deletion or over writing of important footage. Clearly you should still back up footage as soon as possible.
- Q. Is it easy to back up footage for the Police?
It’s very easy to save footage from the ZipNVR and it’s done in just a few clicks. You can even save the footage in an AVI format if you prefer which means that it is “Police Ready” and can be played on most common devices without special player software.
- Q. Is the software easy to use?
Yes it is, designed in the UK it’s got a clear and uncluttered interface that is intuitive to use. It has drag and drop tabs so that you can re-arrange the software on your computer to suit the style you work in. You can even duplicate the camera view tabs up to 4 times so that you can create multiple camera layouts perfect for commercial installations
- Q. Can you record cameras direct to the PC using the ZipVision software?
Yes, ZipVision allows you to schedule local recording on the PC based on individual NVRs or cameras.
- Q. Does the software show where the cameras are?
It does indeed, referred to as eMap. You can save a plan of the building into ZipVision then locate your cameras on to it. This is a really useful feature for commercial installations where different operators may not know where each camera is located. On motion detection or alarm the camera on the 'eMap' would flash.
- Q. On my remote PC can a window pop up with that camera’s images when alarmed?
Yes the ZipVision supports alarm activation camera pop up. It can even automatically record the camera if you want at the PC as well as the NVR!
- Q. Can the Zip IP system work on limited bandwidth networks?
Yes the Zip has “Tri-Stream” technology. You can set the NVR to record at 4MP but you can also send lower resolution images to remote locations to prevent hogging the network.
- Q. Does the Zip system have any nifty software tools for the techie installers?
Yes we have a Zipfinder tool that can be used to scan a network to find all Zip devices on it helping configure equipment or upgrade firmware.
- Q. Does the Zip have any “Smart” features or “video analytics”?
It certainly does. The Zip cameras have smart functions such as “line crossing”, basic face detection and can even can be set up to monitor object removal which is useful to catch thieves. To use these features you need to use the Zip cameras and ZipNVR as the features are built in to the Zip IP cameras and they then trigger the ZipNVR to record, alarm etc. Example of Line crossing and object removal can be found online at www.ZipNVR.com.
- Q. Is the software easy to use?
Yes it is, designed in the UK it’s got a clear and uncluttered interface that is intuitive to use. It has drag and drop tabs so that you can re-arrange the software on your computer to suit the style you work in. You can even duplicate the camera view tabs up to 4 times so that you can create multiple camera layouts perfect for commercial installations.
- Q. What makes the ZipNVR different for the CCTV installer?
The ZipNVR is different in many ways, with its UK designed interface and software it’s really easy to fit and very simple to use. Being exclusively available to the CCTV trade and not sold on eBay and Amazon like many competitor’s products, the installer can rest assured they are protected by our “Trade Only” exclusive product.
- Q. Is the Zip IP system easy to set up?
Yes, it’s child's play to set up, Simply connect the zip cameras to the PoE ZipNVR with a patch cable and it will first autodetect the Zip IP cameras then auto-configure them for you !
- Q. Is the Zip IP system neat and easy to fit?
The PoE feature of the ZipNVR powers the cameras down the Cat5/6 cable so that no additional power supplies are needed for the CCTV system, this makes installation extremely easy saving you time and resulting in a quality neat and tidy installation.
- Q. If you don’t use the PoE NVR is it still easy to fit?
Even if the Zip IP cameras are not directly connected to the ZipNVR’s built in PoE switch you can still search for the IP cameras and then manually configure them at a central location direct from the NVR for a convenient set up.
- Q. Does the ZipNVR require special player software to play back recorded files?
No, you can save files as police evidence directly as an AVI file, alternatively you can save them as highly compressed high quality Qzip files that will need the bundled “VZipPlayer” software to playback these.
- Q. What’s the Zip’s recording resolution?
Standard is 4MP but all the ZipNVRs feature up to 4K recording on at least one channel and boast 4K output with stunning playback quality.
- Q. Is setting up remote viewing on a phone easy?
Setting up remote viewing is a doddle. Simply scan the ZipNVR’s QR code by a smart phone and the phone connects to the Zip with no port forwarding required.
More Information on the superb ZipNVR range here...
- Introducing ZIP IP CCTV
- 6 reasons to choose a ZIP IP CCTV system
- How to carry out a site survey
- Do I Need A PoE Or Non-PoE NVR?
- How many channels do I need?
- How much storage do I need?
Fast Fix Kits - All the accessories you need to get your CCTV system up and running, just add you!
FASTFIX8 includes 100M cable, power supply, HDMI lead, cable clips, connectors and even 4 CCTV Warning Signs. Just add a DVR, cameras and a screen.
Saves over £20 on normal trade prices!
Did You Know...?
The 'Zip226' has a huge 32 channels so is great for larger CCTV systems.
Stylish & Compact Eyeball Camera -
With just a 90mm diameter this superb little camera is perfect for shops, offices or modern buildings wanting a compact design.Check out the IP-CAM800B in more detail